As we know, Joomla is one of the best CMS in the world. It often uses to make websites. You can make a great website fast. You don’t need to know PHP or HTML to use it. You only need to understand Joomla.
I started using Joomla from version 1.13. The Joomla is very great, although it still has many drawbacks. After that, Joomla changed the core. Joomla released version 1.5, a version that is not compatible with previous version. Yes, that’s right, it’s a brand new Joomla. Although it is not backward compatible, but some Joomla 1.13 extensions and templates can run in Joomla1 1.5 by condition you need to turn on system legacy plugin. For Joomla 1.13 lovers, don’t stay there, move to Joomla 1.5 because Joomla stops the development of version 1.3. They no longer support it.
For web programmer, understanding Joomla is not enough. We need to understand more to extend or build template for Joomla. Now, Joomla releases version 1.6alpha. In general, alpha version is not recommended for production. It’s only for developer or hobbyist. What’s new in Joomla 1.6alpha? Take a look at the list below:
- ACL: access management for global permissions as well as content item specific permissions, variable usergroups, users member of more than one usergroup, permissions are inherited, really fast (it’s the main feature I expect for a long time ago)
- Extendable user profile, profile view in frontend, extendable user parameters
- Tableless com_content layouts
- Improved com_content modules (mod_articles_archive, mod_articles_latest, mod_articles_popular)
- Article linker plugin for editors (Nice!)
- New frontend template (atomic)
- New backend template (bluestork)
- New uploader for media manager
Other Joomla 1.6 improvements that existed in alpha 1:
- Mootools 1.2
- Refactored backend
- Nested Categories and category parameters
- New views in frontend: categories, category
- Lots of small code improvements, almost cut the code size in half while adding to the functionality
- PHP 5.2 required, huge performance improvements, partially eaten up by new features => 1.6 will be faster than 1.5
After alpha 2, the Joomla community can expect a beta release. There are no intentions for a 3rd alpha release. Hmm.. the stable version is coming up! Can’t wait to try it!
Future improvements will be developed by Joomla Team:
- Commenting solution is going to be added (At last.. :D)
- Additional DB drivers
- Lots of small performance/UI/code improvements
Great! Hope they will win Best Open Source PHP CMS.
- New Release of Joomla 1.5.12
- Joomla 1.5.13 Security Release
- Joomla! Won "Best CMS Award" (Again)
- Joomla! Runner-up Packt Publishing Award
- Joomla Database Crash