Joomla, one of the world’s most popular open source content management systems (CMS) used for everything from websites to blogs to Intranets, announces the immediate availability of Joomla 2.5 on Tuesday, 24 January 2011. It’s a good news for Joomla fans of course. There’s a major step in development of this new Joomla version, it’s now can use Microsoft SQL Server or PostGreSQL, in addition to MySQL.
“Multi-database support is a huge step forward for Joomla, which is already powering more than 1.6 million websites worldwide. It ensures companies and organization, both large and small, will save even more money and time by adopting Joomla,” said Ryan Ozimek, president of Open Source Matters, a non-profit created to provide organization, legal and financial support to the Joomla project. “No longer will Joomla developers be tied down to a particular database or have to spend more money and time integrating other software to get Joomla to communicate with their database. This enhances Joomla’s scalability immensely.”
Not only that, other key features in Joomla 2.5 includes:
- Automatic notification when a Joomla or extension update is available. When logged into the control panel, site administrators will instantly have access to new notification buttons that allows them to see and act on the latest updates. In addition to updates for the Joomla CMS, a second button offers third party extension notification updates.
- A better natural language search engine to the Joomla core. Complete with auto-completion and stemming (for example if you type “running” in a search field you also see run), it is faster and more versatile than the standard search.
But, it’s not finished. There are the other features in Joomla 2.5. Check ‘em out at http://joom.la/25features.
What a great improvement! I can’t wait to try it! But how? Joomla 2.5 is available at http://www.joomla.org/download.html.
- New Release of Joomla 1.5.12
- Joomla 1.5.13 Security Release
- Joomla! Runner-up Packt Publishing Award
- Joomla in the Future
- Joomla! 1.5 SEO